Friday, May 23, 2008

Progress

Today I was out putting row covers on the squashes. I had to take 2 lengths of row cover and sew them together to get them wide enough. The zucchini, butternut and pumpkins are poking up already. The zucchini is making the most strides at this point.

It has been pretty damp lately, so I haven't had to do too much watering. The fruit trees and bushes are looking good as well. The potatoes are up and the cole crops seem to be holding their own so far. The cabbage even looks like it is starting to head up. Peas are about 12 inches long and the spinach will be ready for harvest in the next week I think.

So far we have had no animal activity. This is despite neighbors having seen them and in 1 case having their garden eaten. I'm so far attributing it to a combination of the fence and the dog.

The tomatoes continue to look a little sunburnt, but they are also holding their own, so I don't think it will be a major issue. Next year I'll have to spend more time hardening them off. Live and learn.

No comments: