Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Big Day

Today was the big planting day.

First this morning was potatoes. I got 5 lbs of potatoes out in 7 hills. I dug a whole put the potatoes in and just covered them. They are now in a trench with high sides. As they grow I'll have dirt to pile up on them. We'll see how it goes.

This afternoon I got all the seeds put in. I planted carrots, beets, parsnips, 3 hills of zucchini, 3 hills of butternut, 3 hills of pumpkin, 3 hills of watermelon and 5 hills of cucumbers. The Pooh helped in her own way shoving seeds into hills. Then she went over to a pile of sod and planted some zucchini in her own garden. It will probably do better than mine.

The cabbage and broccoli are doing well and the wild life hasn't found them yet. I think I'll cover them tomorrow anyway. Then again they'll probably get eaten to the ground tonight. The row covers for the squash will go on after they break the ground I think. The spinach is really looking good, but the chard didn't come up, so I planted beets in its place. The lettuce is starting to progress now that it is warming up. The peas are about 4 inches high.

No comments: