Monday, May 12, 2008

Into the cold frame

We were supposed to get rain today and tomorrow. However, because there is apparently a front sitting on top of us, it doesn't look like it will. Instead it will be cool and windy and cloudy. I decided to put the tomatoes and peppers into the cold frame to begin their move into the garden. They will be protected from the wind by the cold frame and because it is cloudy the next 2 days they won't get sunburned. Hopefully. This is all still so new.

The rest of the garden is looking ok I guess. A few of the broccoli and cabbage are looking like they won't make it. They seem to be the ones that had 2 plants growing together that I had to pull one out of. I'm going to replant inside and add some cauliflower to the mix. They'll plant out in a few weeks. It should actually end up being a good thing. This way I'll have a staggered harvest. Nothing else is up, but I didn't really expect them to be anyway. It has been cool, so I'm thinking they'll start coming up in a few days when it gets warmer. Today should really be the last of the truly cool days. We should stay in the 60's and 70's from here on out.

Lori gave me some tomato, pepper and eggplant starts. I thought we were trading 2 plants (mine were the Berkely tie dyed) for 2 plants. Instead I got 6 or 7 tomato plants, some unidentified pepper plants and an eggplant. Since I already had too many tomato plants and nobody likes eggplant I gave 2 tomatoes and the eggplant to Nancy. I got farm eggs in exchange! Good deal to me.

We were supposed to get the fruit trees yesterday and finish the fence. Mother's day got in the way though. We had to go to Myrna's and out to eat with the whole clan. It took far longer than we had anticipated and by the time we were done I was a bit overdone. I mowed the lawn to get rid of my nervous energy and frustration instead. If Rich isn't too busy we'll get the rest done on Wed or Thurs. He's just always so busy.

No comments: