Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Loving the Veggies

Strangely, this photo doesn't do the harvest justice. It seemed like an awful lot this morning though. Lots more zuchini and green beens, cucumbers and beets. I also picked the first of 3 cabbages. It got pretty eaten by the worms, but will still be yummy.
I also dug up 2 hills of potatoes. These are the potatoes I didn't plant this year. I planted some potatoes last year and got virtually nothing from them. Apparently I missed a few and have had 6 hills pop up. When I went out this morning, 2 of the hills were dying back so I thought now would be as good a time as any.
There are lots of little ones, but also some decent sized potates. I think they liked all the rain we had this year. I dug around like a crazy woman trying to make sure I got all of them. As much as I like having volunteer potatoes, I really like having them where I want them. These are a russet variety, but I think next year I'll plant a red skinned or more all purpose variety. I can't wait to dig up the other hills!

1 comment:

kitsapFG said...

Nice potato haul! That harvest picture does not do justice because you had to pull back so far to get everything in. I can tell though that it represents quite a bit of produce. Good work!