Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Canning Class Triple Berry Jam!

Today was the first of 3 classes I'm doing on water bath canning. I decided to do jam with pectin as I felt it was the easiest thing to master.
Today we used Ball's pectin, but I'm looking forward to trying the Pomona Universal Pectin that I just got.
With all the rain and cool weather here in New England, we seem to be in between berry seasons. I ended up going to Costco and we made blueberry, raspberry, blackberry jam. This picture shows the crushed fruit being heated with the pectin.
This is the jam with the sugar now added at a full rolling boil.
Next into the jars


Then into the canner
Aren't they pretty?
Here are my happy class members. K is my photographer today, so we can't see her. The class went well. I have lots of requests for further classes and judging from this one, I will certainly do them. The jam was yummy too.

The recipe I used was

2 cups blueberries crushed
1 1/2 cups raspberries crushed
1 1/2 cups blackberries crushed
7 cups sugar
1 package Ball pectin

Bring the berries and pectin to a rolling boil. You will not be able to stir down the boiling for this. Add the sugar all at once and bring back up to a rolling boil. When it is boiling let it boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Place in hot, sterilized jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

This made about 10 cups of jam.

5 comments:

kiwi gomes said...

You're da bomb girl! Looking forward to the next class:)

Fairly Odd Mother said...

This looks so great! Can't wait til Monday!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

oo oo, welcome to the addictive canning club!!!

kitsapFG said...

That looks like a good excuse to visit, laugh, and eat jam! Nice work on the class presentation.

Kerryanne Cummins said...

I have almost eaten 1/2 the jar!!
I cant wait for the next class!