Monday, July 20, 2009

Harvest is getting bigger


This is today's harvest from my little patch. I love when it starts coming on fast and furious. Well... I should say I love it until about August, when I'm knee deep in tomatoes. We've been eating lots of zuchini, sugar snap peas and lettuce. Now we're onto the green beans, beets and cucumbers. Soon will be tomatillos, peppers and tomatoes.

Tonights dinner will be pork chops with cucumber salad and beets. The zucchini was shredded and frozen. The peas and beans were frozen as well. There are tons more behind all of them. It will all taste so good this winter.

By the way, does anyone have a solution for freezing that doesn't involve plastic bags? We like some things much better frozen, than canned, but I hate using all those bags. They get reused, but still...

After I harvested the beets, I pulled the remainder of the broccoli plants. They had reached the end of life. I went on to plant the starts of broccoli and cabbage that I had started on my deck a few weeks ago. Next I planted beets, romaine lettuce and chard in the new area where my cold frames will go. I can't wait to see how everything does in my fall garden. I've never done so many things for fall. This is also the first year we'll have fully planted cold frames. There is a second frame to plant, but that will be planted with mache and something else to be determined later. Since we're getting rain for the next few days, everything should do very well.

Is anyone else planting fall crops?

5 comments:

kitsapFG said...

No good solution to the freezer bags. Used plastic sealing/stackable containers one year but they did not provide a good enough seal - got freezer taste on the produce. Granted that was many years ago now and perhaps there is a better product out there today.

Harvest looks bountiful!

Matron said...

Yes, I always try hard to remember to sow seeds now for Autumn and Winter. Carrots, lettuce, turnip, cabbage, spinach and beetroots are on the list.

Katie Berry said...

We are obviously doing something wrong. We have gotten nothing from our garden! Might need a one-on-one consult from the expert! :)

The Mom said...

Thanks kitsap!

Matron, sounds like yummy stuff. Do you get much snow over there?

Katie, I'll be happy to come over!

Suburb Sierra said...

Hi! I found you through Fairly Odd Mother - and while I attempted a garden this year (next year it will be perfected - ha!), I decided if I wanted fresh veggies I better get in on our CSA.

Thanks for mentioning freezing shredded zucchini. I am never sure which veggies freeze well but since I have 4 zucchini from this week's harvest, and only one person in my house that likes them (me), I will be storing for the winter.

Look forward to reading more of your posts in the near future!