Thursday, September 3, 2009

Salsa!

We love salsa here. Every year my son anxiously awaits the making of the salsa. Its one of his favorite snacks with tortilla chips. So today, while he was fighting through his math, I chopped and measured. The recipe I use is called Annie's salsa and I've seen it referenced dozens of times on the internet. The recipe is linked above about halfway down the page. I omit the sugar and cilantro. The first because we don't need it and the second because we don't like it.

The tomatoes have been loving the dry weather we're having. There is no rain predicted for the next week at least, so eventually I'll probably have to break down and water them. So far though, they seem to be thriving with a lack of water. Honestly, they only have a few weeks left anyway, before frost does them in for good.

The chickens love when it when I go to the garden. They stand poised, waiting for the treats they know they'll soon get. Half rotten tomatoes, weeds, overdone cukes, lettuce gone to seed, its all heaven to the chicks. Since I've been doing lots of canning lately, they've gotten even more. Instead of throwing the tomato cores into the compost, the chickens get them. Since they then eat more of the feed pellets, its a great deal for everyone. It won't be long until they go into the garden to do the cleanup for me. Wonderful little garden helpers.

4 comments:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

mmmmmm, I love fresh salsa! (although I also love that soapy taste of cilantro too). Glad you chickens are enjoying your garden too.

kitsapFG said...

We love salsa too. I put up 14 pints of it this year. I have not tried the Annie's Salsa yet but have heard good things about it.

kitsapFG said...

Adding yet another comment to this blog entry because I want to let you know that I have passed along to you a meme award. You may read about it on my blog entry today.

http://www.modernvictorygarden.com/apps/blog/

Shaheen said...

I have just stumbled upon your blog and have read it from present day to here. I am really enjoyig it and will be back to read more. Like yourself I like to grow and cook with my own veg. I do like your recipes and hope to make some of them next year, esp this salsa.