Saturday, September 26, 2009

Getting started


I just couldn't resist starting the new beds.  They were calling to me.  Its crazy, I'm still working on this year's garden and can't wait for next year.  This is my first time with actual raised beds.  I've always done a sloped bed that works very much like a raised bed.  Next year this will be where the tomatoes go along with another bed that will go down another side of the garden.

As you can see, I'm laying down cardboard first.  That will help to deter the grass and eventually break down and become part of the soil.  The worms love the cardboard, so they'll come over and help to get things going as well.  When the beds are put together, I'll fill with some good soil and compost and put them to bed for the winter.  Next Spring, I'll be set to plant.  Fall is certainly a good time to get projects like this done.  I have time to do it at my own pace and not feel rushed.  This winter I will be able to look out at my snow covered garden and feel that I'll be able to hit the ground running.


Sadly, it hardly made a dent in the amount of work that still needs to be done.  Its going to be great though!  Maybe someday I'll be able to grow the lion's share of my fruits and veggies.  How cool is that?

4 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I hope you're feeling better, else I have to come & duct tape you!!!

The Mom said...

I'm feeling a little better, so I'm taking it slowly. Please no duct tape!

kitsapFG said...

That is really exciting to have a garden expansion project in the works. It's a lot of work but the opportunities it opens up is worth it. You have a made a good start on the project.

The Mom said...

KitsapFG, it is exciting. I love adding on and pushing the envelope a little each year.