Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Independence Days Update.

I've been reading Sharon's blog for ages now. She has been doing the Independence Days now for about a year or so. I figured it would be about time for me to join in.

Plant something: In the last week I've planted 6 blueberry bushes, a bed of lettuce and cucumbers and watermelon. The rest is either in the ground or sunning itself on my deck.

Harvest something: Nothing yet.

Preserve something: I haven't done much in the last few weeks in this area. We're still using up the last of last years produce.

Reduced waste: All the boxes from hubby's computer business have made their way into my garden as pathways. These will reduce weeds and feed the earth at the same time. I don't know if this count as well, but to reduce energy waste I put up my clothesline this week!

Preparation and Storage: My basement was recently made more usable, so all of my storage foods are now easier to get at. I'm also looking at using my bulkhead as a makeshift root cellar this year.

Build Community Food Systems: Our little town has just announced its first Farmers Market!! I am so excited. I have also traded extra seedlings for eggs, and other seedlings that I needed.

Eat the food: I haven't been able to eat anything from my garden yet. Hopefully soon!

No comments: