Friday, March 23, 2012

Late March in the garden

What a Spring we're having!  It was in the mid 80s yesterday and the garden is loving it.  We're due for a dose of reality in the next week, but it's been nice while it lasted.  The garden has been growing faster than normal.  Most years, I still have frozen ground, or even snow at this point.  So, I'll take what I can get.

The peas are poking their little heads up already.

The potato onions are getting big.  I'm hoping for a better harvest this year as they acclimate to my garden.

Spinach is up in the hoops.  Lettuce and swiss chard are also poking their heads up.

The rhubarb is getting bigger by the minute.  At it's current rate of growth, I fully expect it to take over this bed.  That's only a slight exaggeration.

The strawberries are looking healthy and we're hoping for a great crop.  If we can keep the other birds and animals away.

Lastly, are the brassicas.  They're hardening off to go into the hoops later in the week. 

What have you got going on in your garden.  Any signs of spring?

5 comments:

farmwifetwo said...

Dh is cleaning the cattle pen this week. I got a skid steer sized bucket load dumped on my garden yesterday and I need to get it spread around. Also need to get a bucket of ground burley tobacco stalks - keeps the bugs down.

Plan to get started outside next week.

The Mom said...

Farmwifetwo, how are you doing on the indoor list? I know you weren't looking forward to getting outside quite yet.

Daphne Gould said...

No signs of spring, just summer. I really hate years that don't follow the norm. I do like slightly warmer temps than normal, but summer in spring.

kitsapFG said...

What an amazingly warm spell you have been enjoying and you can really see the impact it has on your plants. Definitely happy campers. I hope your return to more normal conditions is a gentle return and not too harsh on all the newly emerged and growing items.

The Mom said...

Daphne, at least it will be more spring-like this week. I don't think we'll skip it altogether. Spring is always the weirdest month here anyway. Either winter is too long, or summer starts early.

Laura, the plants are happy. I don't think we're in for anything too harsh. The hoop houses should help to protect what is already in the ground.