Monday, March 5, 2012

Don't fail me now!

Spring is so close, I can almost touch it.  I want to touch it, desperately.  Does that sound depraved?  Here in New England, our temps are predicted to be in the 60s on Wednesday and Thursday.  Such a tease!  After this boring (I'm not complaining!) and warm winter, I'm more than ready to get going on the garden.   Today, however, is still too cold to spend any time in the garden itself.

Instead, I'm planting more seeds.  It's a little early, but I'm throwing all caution to the wind.  If the seedlings get a little too big, I'll toss them into a hoop house.


The peppers need to be reseeded as well.  I've been a little spacey lately, and may have missed seeding an entire row, thus the pathetic germination rate.  Some of the broccoli and cabbage seeds were quite old.  In fact, I'm not even sure how old they are.  I'll be replanting some of those as well.

The garden plan is done, but will most definitely be altered along the way.  I'm very good at planning, but not terribly good at following my plan.  This year, I'm trying to put more garden into storage crops  and year round greens.  I didn't put it into the plan, but many of these beds will be rotated at least once for multiple harvests.  We go through a ridiculous number of carrots in a year, so a very large crop will be planted mid to late summer.  They can be easily overwintered in the ground with some protection.  Even with minimal protection, I've found that they will do quite well.

If you want to see what else I'm writing about, check out my post on Maple Sugaring, over at Edible South Shore.

2 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

This seems like a good year to throw caution to the wind. The weather has been so consistently warm. Ok today is cold, but most days are warm.

The Mom said...

Daphne, it does seem like a good year for it. Hopefully, the weather won't decide to get cold again. The long range looks pretty good right now.