Monday, November 2, 2009

Almost done for the year


The kids were a huge help yesterday.  It cost me some candy and a few bucks in the end, but was well worth it.  They finished filling all but one bed.  I had already done a lot of it, but they did 3/4 of 1 and 1/3 of another of the big beds.  Then they decided that wasn't enough and raked my leaves, spreading them over the tops of the beds.  The little ones helped me plant 200 bulbs out as well.  I'm just amazed.  My back is still killing me, but it feels much better than it would have.  It would have taken me at least another day or so to do what they did in an afternoon.  Great kids.  Last Friday they raked another neighbor's leaves up as well.

All I have left to do is turn the last bed and fill it, weed the edges of the fenced garden and rake out the rest of the soil.  If my back was feeling better, I would get some cow manure spread, but its not the end of the world if I don't.  The garden is put to bed well and will be ready for me to plant the early things like peas, onions, lettuce and cole crops.  Maybe I'll get the kids to help me spread the manure...

4 comments:

kitsapFG said...

That was well worth a little candy and a few bucks! It always feels good to have the garden properly put to bed for the winter. It's satisfying to know that when you are ready in early spring to start planting - your garden will be too.

The Mom said...

It is such a relief. Last year the garden was not put to bed properly and it seemed I was behind the whole year. I feel good now!

Sarah Slaven said...

That sounds so nice, putting the garden to bed. Glad to hear good old fashioned bribery still works too.

The Mom said...

The great thing about good old fashioned bribery, is that they are still learning to work hard and to know what needs to be done.