Friday, April 4, 2008

Potting up

Well after being sick all week, I'm finally feeling better. I've also overdone it, but what else is new. I woke up and promptly scrubbed the revolting bathrooms and took a shower. All the bedding and the rest of the laundry went off to the basement to be cleaned as well. I usually wash everything in cold water, but today it all went in hot. All those nasty germs had to be destroyed!

Then it was time to pot up the seedlings in the basement. I'm very happy with how things are doing so far this year. All the broccoli and cabbage got put into individual pots and placed in the window. I have WAY too many broccoli starts, so friends will be growing broccoli as well. The lettuce went into a gallon ice cream pail and in the window as well. The window is officially full. I really need to get up the nerve to put everything out in the cold frame. I'm going to try a few things out there next week when all this rain and cooler weather has gone away.

The tomatoes were next. They did super well for the most part. A few varieties haven't come up yet at all, so we'll see how they do. I already have enough tomato plants, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The peppers are just starting to come up, so they haven't been potted up yet. Thyme and basil are doing well, so they were potted up. The echinacea and hostas were no shows and I just don't have room for them, so off they went to the trash.

When I took it all to the basement, I realized I didn't have enough room under the lights. This is even with the broccoli and cabbage upstairs now. I got out the aluminum foil and tented it around the plants so that the light is reflecting off and causing more light in there. I think it will also keep them warmer. This is fun!

I had to then go to Lowe's for some more peat pots. It was hard to resist buying more seeds. they all look so yummy and fun. The kids decided that we needed new bird feeders and happily each picked one out. It's pouring out today, so we won't be able to get them out for a bit. We're supposed to get a couple days of rain too.

Everytime I go outside, I realize how much needs to be done to get the garden ready to be planted. There is still some sod left to be removed and if Al doesn't come up and till in the next few weeks, I'll be turning it by hand as well. Exercise is good! The fence also needs to be completed soon as well. My goal is to get all of this done by about April 21st or so. We'll see if the weather and everyone I'm depending on work with me on this one.

No comments: