Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Snickerdoodles

I came to snickerdoodles late in life.  I used to always go for the flashier cookies and tended toward anything chocolate.  One day it came to me that I had never tried them, so I set out to find a recipe.  Strangely, most of the recipes I came across used shortening in them.  Shortening does not come to my house.  I decided to modify a few recipes and came up with this one.  They're all butter, sugar and white flour, but man are they good.

Snickerdoodles

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cup flour
1 t baking soda
2 t cream of tartar
1 t salt
1 t vanilla
2 T sugar
2 t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 and grease cookie sheets

Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Stir together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and mix until just combined.

Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.  Form dough into small balls and roll in cinnamon sugar.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown at the edges.

This recipe is being added to the Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap at Farmer's Daughter.  Check out all the yummy recipes added.   It is also being added to the Retro Housewife Goes Green:  Green Holiday Blog Carnival. 

11 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

These are my favorite cookie! I don't remember if my recipe has shortening in it - if it does, I use coconut oil in solid form in it's place. Works fine in everything else that calls for shortening.

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Lisa said...

I love snickerdoodles! You should add this to my green holiday blog carnival- http://www.retrohousewifegoesgreen.com/2010/11/green-holiday-blog-carnival_29.html

The Mom said...

Mrs Rabe, coconut oil would work too!

Lisa, thanks for the invite. I just added the link.

meemsnyc said...

I grew up eating snickerdoodles. Yummy recipe!

Karen Anne said...

That recipe looks suspiciously like Toll House cookies without the chocolate chips :-)

Leigh said...

You stirred up memories of my childhood! My mom made snickerdoodles but I'd forgotten all about them. I don't seem to have her recipe, so I'm bookmarking this one.

The only shortening I use is organic palm shortening. It is not hydrogenated and therefore has no transfats. Plus it gives all my baked goods a yummy taste. I've done like Mrs. Rabe, and used hardened coconut oil too and that works well. Of course, I have no issues with butter either!

The Mom said...

Meemsnyc, you need to make some.

Karen, LOL it's funny, now that you say that they are pretty similar. The original recipe wasn't so close. They're yummy either way!

Leigh, I've seen the organic shortening and heard it works well. I love my butter though!

Lorie said...

I too love snickerdoodles, the whole family loves them. Thanks for the recipe, I have a pretty good one, but am always willing to give another a try.

We also just love sugar cookies over the holidays, frosted an plain, they are just so good.

kitsapFG said...

Grew up eating Snicker Doodles, Ranger Cookies, No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal cookies, and Toll House Chocolate chip cookies. They all individually are "comfort" food for me as they represent a large span of my childhood eating.

Daphne Gould said...

My kids grew up eating snickerdoodles. Oatmeal raisin is probably the favorite with Ginger and Molassas cookies coming right there. But Snickerdoodles are great. the best thing is that you don't need raisins or chocolate chips. So when you are out of everything you can still make Snickerdoodles. BTW I don't have shortening in the house either. I use half oil, half butter when they call for it. It seems to work well. Though pure butter tastes the best.

Lisa said...

Thanks for joining in on my carnival!