Monday, March 10, 2008

Starting veggies from seed

This is the first year I'll be starting things from seed. I have already started a few things and learned a few things.

Onions- These were started 3 weeks ago in a plastic bin that formerly housed some of the kids art supplies. I washed it out well and filled it with starter soil. This was then covered with plastic wrap and set in the window. The seeds sprouted a few days later and I was very excited. However, I think I left the plastic on too long. There is now fuzzy white mold on the soil and the onions are dying. Lesson learned is to take off the plastic as soon as they sprout.

Parsley- These were started about a month ago and took a little over a week to sprout. I started them in paper cups and put them in the same from window. All 7 seeds sprouted and they are doing quite well. The problem became that the bottom of the paper cups started to mold. So on Saturday I replanted them all into their own little styrofoam cups and returned them to the window. They seem to be doing quite well. I think there will be a lot of friends with parsley planted in their gardens this year.

I've been anxious to get a cold frame made. The idea of extending the growing season is very exciting to me. There have been some windows that were removed from the kitchen last summer sitting outside waiting to be used. I had talked to quite a few people about helping me to build one, since I have no idea how to build anything. It seemed pretty easy. Just a box with slanted opening and glass on the top on hinges. I even went and got some lumber to do such a thing.

Then I chickened out and called my wonderful new brother in law Al. He's such a sweetie. He's been busily getting their own land ready to start a market garden. My SIL Lori had wanted one as well and so while he made one for her, he made one for me! It is so nice and he used plexiglass instead of the windows. We went and picked it up yesterday from their house. I got to see what they are doing and what they are planning. My goodness is that going to be lots of work! Lori and I swapped some seeds and talked a bit before she had to run off to work. I'm hoping to be able to get down there and help them plant all those wonderful veggies this spring.

We got the fencing for my garden. This year it will be just over 1000 sq ft. Since that is about 5 times the size of last years garden its a big leap for me. My mom actually thinks I'm insane and she's probably right. I would love to be able to grow the years worth of certain veggies for us. There will be various squashes, cabbage, broccoli, beans green and dried, beets, carrots, parsnips and of course tomatoes. I can't wait to try all the new varieties of tomatoes this year. There will also be a number of varieties of peppers both sweet and hot. The plan is to dry theses and use them for chile powders. I also have some garlic planted, but since we use a ton of that, I won't have nearly enough for the whole year. I can't wait to get started. The bulk of the seed starting will happen this week under the grow lights in the basement. It's all so exciting.

No comments: