Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Succession planting

This is all relatively new to me.  I'm learning as I go.  In years past I've done some succession planting, but never to the extent I am this year.  Most years I've done second plantings of zucchini, peas and various other things that were direct seeded.  This year I'm taking it to a new level.  Every few weeks I've planted new seedlings of broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, chard, and several other things. 

This is also in preparation for year round gardening.  I have one hoop over my beds, with plans to add several more.  I hope to have many of my new raised beds fitted with hoops to grow lots of cold weather crops.  Our diet has been slowly changing to eat more seasonally.  There has also been an increase in the number of greens we eat.  This is all a part of my master plan for providing my family with fresh veggies all year long. 

Since I don't have a greenhouse, my back porch has been my nursery.  It's very high tech.  The porch is North facing and relatively protected.  This gives the seedlings plenty of light, without cooking them and burning them.  It also allows them to be planted immediately, without hardening off, when I have the space for them.  I didn't want to spend a lot, so they are sitting in the top of one of those seed starter trays.  Since it's so lightweight, it's weighted down with grill tools.  Yup, we're redneck up here in Mass as well. 

Currently, I have chard, Asian greens, savoy cabbage, kale and lettuce going.  The right hand side was just started on Monday.

We already have sprouts.  I don't cover anything while sprouting, just keep them good and damp in the tray.  It rained last night, so they're nice and wet.  So far, I'm loving how this is working out.  Many things are currently in the garden and thriving, that were started in this manner.  Since the garlic was just pulled, most things are going in it's place.  Lots of yumminess for us!

2 comments:

freerangegirl said...

I love your blog and what you're doing, im trying to do the same but my successional sowing definitely needs some work - thanks for sharing, I look forward to reading more!

Caldwell Vacuum Repair said...

Lovvely blog you have