Friday, July 30, 2010

End of July garden

After a long hot month, we're having a lovely few days.  The cooler temps and lower humidity are so refreshing.  It makes me wish for this weather everyday.  August is usually slightly cooler here in New England, we'll see if that's the case this year.

The corn is looking like it's almost ready to harvest.  I can't wait for the first taste.

The pumpkins are starting to grow into the bushes again.  My neighbors joke that whatever pumpkins grow on their side, they get to keep. 

The garlic bed is now the fall planting area.  This is a red cabbage.

This is from my second planting of cabbage.  The bugs have left them alone for the most part, so they look much prettier.

My broccoli steadfastly refuses to produce a head.  I'm not quite sure why, but not a single plant has produced a thing.  Any help is appreciated.  I suspect it's the heat we're having, but there may be something else to blame.

These are the Legend tomatoes.  They are certainly prolific.  They have produced a large flush of tomatoes on very small plants.  They don't seem to want to grow up, but rather sprawl no matter what I do.  If I grow them next year, it will be in cages.  The other tomatoes love the A frame support, but the Legends don't.

The green beans are giving up, but I'll be leaving them in to see if the cooler weather will prompt them to put on a second flush of fruit.  The tomatoes are really coming into their own now.  We have too many to eat fresh, but not yet enough to can.  I think within the next week or so, I'll be able to get a canner load going.  Boy, do we need a good year for putting up tomatoes. 

Most of the fall garden has been planted.  There will be a few more odds and ends put in in the next week, but it's mostly done.  Now I need to go get the supports for the hoops.  That can wait a while though.

8 comments:

kitsapFG said...

Your garden is doing beautifully this year. Legends are a rather stocky determinant plant so caging is definitely the better way to go with them. They are a reliable producer though and this is the first year in a long time that I do not have some growing in my tomato patch. I had to make room for some of the shared seed varieties I received, but I miss them because they are so dependable.

On the broccoli, you may be giving up on them too soon. Lots of water during heat, a drench of fish/kelp emulsion or compost tea, and patience will probably all contribute to your eventually getting some heads on those nice looking plants.

The Mom said...

Laura, they are very productive. I think next year I'll put them in a different bed. We really like them. I'm not giving up on the broccoli yet. I've been doing all that you've suggested, so hopefully I'll be rewarded soon.

Sustainable Eats said...

Heather look at your cabbage! I'm thinking about giving up on mine and just buying a case this fall at the market. Huge space waster! Everything looks amazing. This summer is separating the gardening men from the boys, eh? And maven Laura is weathering the storm as always because she has seen it all!

meemsnyc said...

Wow, your garden looks amazing.

The Mom said...

Annette, thanks. I can grow a great cabbage, but seem to be broccoli inept. Laura rocks!

Meemsnyc, thanks!

Daphne Gould said...

Legend seems like it would be a good one to grow now with late blight being so annoying. I keep thinking some day I'll have to try it, but this year is my paste tomato trials.

The Mom said...

Daphne, the Legends are doing well. I will do them next year, but stake them better.

Seth Andrade said...

Thank you for writing this