Saturday, October 30, 2010

Vegetable beef soup

I hate to waste anything, so the other night when we had a bone in chuck steak, I vowed not to waste any of it.  Today I took the rest of the steak and bones and threw them in a pot with a bunch of veggies, a jar of canned tomatoes and a jar of the beef stock I made when we got the cow.  The result is rather delicious. 

This is what is left after I took some to Hubby at the Fire Station and the kids and I had some.  The recipe was made up, but I'll do my best.

Vegetable beef soup

Leftover bones and meat from a chuck steak, maybe a cup of meat.
1qt tomatoes
1qt beef stock
3 potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
2-3 carrots cut up
1 qt of beans
1 can of corn
1 small onion diced
1 large clove garlic
water to cover and salt and pepper to taste. 

I basically just threw it together and let it simmer.  After a while, I pulled the meat out and cut it up into small pieces.  It's very yummy and comforting on this cool, fall day.

4 comments:

farmwifetwo said...

Must-go-stew :)

Dh's aunt keeps a container in the freezer for all her veggie leftovers... need to get organized and do that... then when she's ready to make soup she just empties it into the pot.

kitsapFG said...

We have been in a soup mode lately too - must be the fall thing?! I was just thinking that a good minestrone sounds yummy for dinner tonight. :D

That looks like it was really delicious and hearty.

Daphne Gould said...

That is the way I make soups too. I tend to throw things in that need to be used from the fridge. I do love soup recipes sometimes too. They are more often used as a guideline however and not as gospel.

foodgardenkitchen said...

The soup looks delicious :)