Tuesday, October 19, 2010

PSA Don't do this at home

Yesterday I decided to get off my butt and get my garlic planted.  Hubby was home from work sneezing and coughing all over the place and generally driving me crazy.  I pulled 2 bunches of garlic down from the basement, grabbed my poultry shears and went out to cut the tops off the garlic.  Apparently my finger got in the way.  What a dingbat I am.  I ended up with a tetanus shot and 6 stitches.  No pictures of the stitches, because I'm sure that is not what you want to see.  The garlic is going to have to wait awhile now. 

On a bright note, the nurse is a big gardener herself.  We chatted about gardening and canning while the doctor worked.  It was quite pleasant actually, considering what was happening with my hand. 

I'm finding it difficult to do much of anything right now.  Toby is mad that he didn't get his walk today.  It is hard to control a 85lb dog with one hand.  He's pretty good, but not that good.

11 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Owwww!!!!! Hope it heals quickly!

denimflyz said...

Ouch, also
Please don't feel like a dingbat, as I have done this also. Got to clipping too fast and .....
Just take it easy, everything will be there when you heal, and I assure you it will be a little while, and you also have to put up with the pounding hand for a few days, just keep it elevated.

Sheila said...

oh my goodness, get better soon. Ive been looking about your blog and its really lovely, i hope typing isnt sore.
Sheila
x

Daphne Gould said...

Oh No. I cut myself with my scissors when cleaning out some tomato plants, but it wasn't bad enough to have stitches. After that I decided the tomatoes could live with all their bad leaves. And I started wearing gloves for a while. I hope it heals up soon.

farmwifetwo said...

It's amazing how fast those things happen. I have a 2" scar in my right shin where a year ago May Dh thought he'd show me how to mow closer to the buildings (Men :) :), needless to say he hasn't told me how to do things differently since :)).... and it picked up a piece of steel and tossed it in and out of my shin... 12 days my Mother was here, 21 days before the last of the stitches came out. I was well away from it... fluke.

Hope it heals quickly.

The Mom said...

Kayla, thanks!

Denimflyz, it pounds like crazy! I'm not having fun being grounded right now.

Sheila, thanks so much. The typing isn't painful, it's more awkward.

Daphne, I'm glad yours wasn't too bad. I tried to ignore it, but it kept bleeding!

Farmwife, that sounds horrible! I'm so glad you're ok now.

Leigh said...

Oh Heather! What a terrible thing to have happen. I know it probably hurts. It's hard to do a lot of things with one hand. I hope you heal quickly.

Karen Sue said...

OOUCH!! I was at a quilt workshop where someone sliced a finger with a rotary cutter and it has always made my think about it every time I take a swipe.

kitsapFG said...

It's amazing how in a blink of an eye you can do so much damage to oneself. I hope it heals very fast for you - and that your husband gets well quickly too - as the dog is going to need his walk soon! LOL!

The Mom said...

Leigh, thanks!

Karen Sue, yikes that sounds awful!

Laura, it happens so quick. Toby is ticked that he isn't getting walked. Maybe tomorrow!

Teresa/safira said...

Must have been in the air recently. I managed to give myself a huge second-degree burn while canning.

On my right thumb. Makes it hard to do much of anything.