Wednesday, May 16, 2012

After the rain

I spent the morning in the house while it poured out.  Soap was made, bread was made and a knit bag was close to completion.  When the rain stopped I went out to the mailbox and was amazed at the rapid growth in the garden.

The Cascadia sugar snaps are getting tall and flowering.  They are a favorite of ours and one that we never seem to have enough of.



The tomato plants have been in the ground for about a week and have almost doubled in size.  This is an Amish Paste.


Jarrahdale squash are up.  Last year they got over run by the Hubbards.  I'm hoping to get a good crop of them this year. 


It looks like we're going to have our biggest harvest of strawberries yet.  I must get some netting over them to keep the critters away.


I found this little guy on the strawberry blossoms.  I've never seen one before.  Any ideas what it is?

7 comments:

farmwifetwo said...

We got a whopping 1/4" of rain this morning. We're at a level 2 drought. Only the Prov can make it a level 3 = NO WATERING of any kind.

Dh tilled my garden last night. My volunteer onions and potatoes are doing well. We've been eating asparagus for a week and the strawberries are in bloom. The blueberry is dying - I can't keep them alive - the raspberries and my other berry (can't remember what it is) are doing fine as well.

Will get my onions and potatoes out this week and buy some transplants early next week.

But, I keep having to "go here, and go there" so I'm way behind.

The Mom said...

Farmwife, I hope you get some good rain soon. Blueberries are so picky! Hopefully they'll perk back up.

Daphne Gould said...

It has been raining on and off for the last three days here, but no really bad downpours. Now the sun is trying to peek out. It looks like the next week will be just beautiful and it will heat up. I've got to get my tomatoes and cukes in. Then the squash. Oh the garden chores that need doing now.

The Mom said...

Daphne, we got some major downpours last night and this morning. Over an inch to be sure. The garden chores certainly do add up these days. I love it though!

kitsapFG said...

It's amazing how rain irrigation makes such a dramatic change in the garden as opposed to just irrigating it. Someone told me once that rain brings low levels of nitrogen with it that it takes up from the atmosphere as it falls. I tend to believe it because I definitely notice the difference between rain irrigation and manual irrigation in the positive effects it provides to the plants.

No idea what that little bug is on the berry!

The Mom said...

Laura, I remember in Farmer Boy, his father called the snow 'poor man's fertilizer'. I would imagine because of those very properties. Watering just doesn't have the same effect. Someone on my Facebook page said that the butterfly is an American Copper. It was very pretty.

Kirsten said...

Ah, seeing your tomato and your seedlings popping up makes me long for Spring, but reading the other comments and the garden to do lists makes me appreciate the rest that winter brings :)

Hi, BTW, I just popped over from Apron Springz