Sunday, August 21, 2011

Today's Harvest

It's been a busy summer.  The garden has been neglected slightly more than usual, but it seems to be holding it's own.  I have lots on the agenda for the garden in the coming weeks.

The tomatoes were late to the party, but seem to be rolling in well now.  We had a big rain storm last week, so many of them split a bit.  Overall, they managed quite nicely.  It's that time of year when every day there are many pounds of tomatoes.  The canner has been getting a workout and the shelves are quickly filling with lots of yummy things for the winter.

Tomatillos are really coming in now as well.  I did one batch of tomatillo salsa last week and will be doing another this week.  It's indispensable in a lot of my recipes.  The plants produce like mad and as a result, it seems that I don't really need to plant them every year.  A good year of harvests can often last for 2 years.

Cucumbers are also doing well.  One that isn't pictured, is a monster that I found hanging behind the fence.  It was the enormous.  Hubby had to try it and was rewarded with a mouthful of very bitter cuke.  The chickens thought it was gourmet.

It's been a good year for watermelons.  I grew Sugar Babies this year.  After last year's disappointing harvest, I was ready to throw in the towel.  The kids begged and we gave it another try.  We were rewarded with several good sized melons and more to come.

It's also been a huge year for pumpkins and squash.  Zucchinis have thankfully, stopped coming in, but it was one of my biggest years for them.  The pumpkins did well and there is plenty more winter squash still in the garden.  I harvested several acorn squash a week or so ago.  And then there is the Hubbard squash.  I planted them in a 4x10 bed.  There were 2 hills and I planted another hill of another variety that I have since forgotten.  It's forgotten because it got over run by hubbards.  The vines were threatening world domination.  The squash pictured is larger than my food scale can handle, I'll have to get the bathroom scale out.  The problem is that there are 4 more (that I've found) out there and this one is far from being the largest.  I'm told that the taste is incredible, so we'll be having lots of fun with squash this year.  Since there are over 100 lbs of winter squashes yet to be harvested, I don't think we'll be needing to plant many next year.  There will be lots in the freezer for a while.

This post will be part of Harvest Monday over at Daphne's Dandelions.  Check out all the amazing produce being harvested around the country and even the world. 

7 comments:

Kathleen Moore said...

Excellent advice! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wow, wonderful harvest!!

Prairie Cat said...

Holy cow that is a huge squash, and there are more yet to come! My squash plants also seem to want to take over the world... I think we have a conspiracy on our hands.

Ben Czajkowski said...

Wow, your harvest fills up your table. Jeez! Congratz on a great week! Your toms and squash look fantastic!

Daphne Gould said...

Wow I wish I had that much winter squash. Mine just didn't set until very late and one patch hasn't set at all. I haven't a clue why. The hot weather was probably the problem. The one doing better had more shade.

kitsapFG said...

Everything that struggled here due to cold conditions this summer - seems to be galloping along in your garden. Wish you were closer so we could do some barter swaps to even things out a bit!

Leigh said...

Wow, I just posted a harvest post too, but I admit it, I am extremely envious of yours! All the things you're getting now have either given up here, or never made an appearance. I'm admiring your garden goodies!