Tuesday, December 23, 2008

How to save hundreds with sewing.

I've been sewing since I was a very little girl. You see, my mother was the Martha Stewart of her time. Since I grew up doing what she did, I grew up knowing how to sew, knit, cook, garden and lots of other handy things.

Today I realized how much my sewing has helped me save money. We have a king sized bed with a nice mattress pad. The pad has a large elastic band that wraps around the bed. This pad had a 2-3 foot long rip in it, so it still attached to the bed, but kept ripping more and more. The unfortunate thing is it costs at least $100 to replace the thing. So today I sat down and sewed the rip and a few other rips in about 15 minutes.

Then Rich called. He's been gaining weight due to a medication change and very bad fast food habits. His work pants don't fit and its becoming a major issue. He had ordered some bigger pairs, but they are about $50 each. So I went into the closet and got the pants that almost fit. I took those up to my handy dandy sewing machine and took out the waist. The years I worked for a tailor really come in handy a lot. I was able to take out the waist enough for him to be able to wear these pants comfortably until he's able to hopefully take off some of this weight. The pants he ordered were cancelled and saved us another $100.

I've put on multiple patches for work saving $5 per patch. Since I've probably put on about 50 or so in our time together, that is lots of money. I've also altered clothes for the kids, hemmed pants and fixed a nasty gash in my $40 jeans( I didn't actually spend that). Since I'm a rather fluffy gal myself with a small waist and large rear end, it is hard to find pants that actually fit me. My only option is generally to find a pair that fits my rear and take in the waist. When I look at it, I have saved thousands over the years. Not bad.

No comments: