Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fun with mud

It's been fun to see the kids play in the mud.  Since the flooding we had a few weeks ago, there has been plenty of it.  You may remember this picture.
The kids are pictured playing in the right side of where this pond had formed.  At first I didn't want them anywhere near it.  Several pairs of shoes were destroyed and countless outfits washed.  Then I was inspired by Lise, whose blog In the Purple House started showing how she encourages the children she babysits and her own daughter to explore in the same way.  I had a bit of a lightbulb moment, when I realized that all this time I've been encouraging my kids to explore nature and at the same time don't want them to get dirty.  Really silly. 
My daughter informed me that they were playing with the mud and creating things that were good for the earth.  She couldn't be any more correct.  By allowing the kids to explore their world and create a true love of nature, I'm growing children that will grow up to protect our earth.  They will be empowered to stand up for the environment.  I couldn't be more proud of them. 
In other news, my blueberry bushes are starting to come back.  This one is hard to see, but it is leafing out.  Not all of them are doing so, but they look healthy all the same.  Since they are still sitting in quite a bit of mud, I'm having a hard time getting too close, but I have hope that they at least aren't all dead. 

6 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

Kids really need to play in the dirt. I always thought it was good for them to explore. It is annoying though when they come in head to toe dirty. One more thing to clean up. OK lots more things to clean up, but it is a mothers job. It was worth it though to hear them laugh outside and occasionally scream with glee.

Lise said...

Oh, my goodness, Heather, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. Thank you so much for the nice tribute. I am so thrilled that you were inspired to embrace the mud! What a beautiful post you've written about it. And yay that your blueberries survived the flood!

The Mom said...

Daphne, somehow the dirt doesn't bother me. It's the sticky mud that I tend to avoid. They are always learning so much outside.

Lise, I've been so inspired by you. You are an amazing woman. Thanks!

Luisa said...

Love to see the kids out there. Lise's blog has been inspiration to us all. Get out there and getting dirty with the right equipment (boots and snowpants) :) It's amazing an experience for the children in her program.

The Idiot said...

Let them play in the dirt to learn about nature, then make them wash their own clothes to learn about the real world. Then make them pay for their dinner to teach them about restaurants.

Is it obvious why I have no children?

The Mom said...

Luisa, Lise is great. She is so wonderful with the kids.

IG, none of those ideas are bad! Kids need to learn responsibility as well.